Position: Nursery Chef (BANK)
Salary: Up to £13ph
Location: 17 Elm Grove, Wimbledon, Greater London, England, SW19 4HE
Hours: Zero hour contract
Reports to: Catering Manager
Required: A Level 2/3 Food Hygiene Certificate
Working at Fennies is about loving what you do and having the passion to be the best at it!
Fennies has been excelling in the early years since 1992, and we're opening new nurseries every year. We don't acquire existing nurseries, so each of our settings is Fennies through and through, from our exceptional culture to our bespoke rooms. From day one, you’ll be supported by our tailored induction, and you’ll be given every opportunity to grow and develop in your career with guidance from the Fennies Academy.
Apply today to join our prestigious, family-run, award-winning nursery group.
As a Nursery Chef, you'll prepare and cook nutritional and balanced meals and desserts for all the children in the nursery and make substitutions depending on each individual's dietary requirements. In addition to the meals for the children, you’ll prepare the meals for Fennies Fresh Café, Fennies’ in-house lunch service for staff. You’ll follow the weekly menus provided by the Head Chef and take daily food samples to freeze for safety and good practice. You’ll succeed as a team by leading and supporting the Kitchen Assistants and delegating roles fairly. You’ll be responsible for important checks ensuring that everything is running correctly so that you have an efficient, top performing and reliable kitchen each day.
You’re the best at …
- Preparing well-balanced and nutritious meals (including purees) in accordance with agreed menu plans for all the children that attend our nurseries
- Training the Kitchen Assistants in all areas, particularly in health & safety and hygiene
- Undertaking daily cleaning schedule, such as mopping, sweeping, wiping surfaces, and cleaning cookers, kitchen equipment, crockery and cutlery
- Keeping paperwork and records up to date to be used for future reference for the safety of everyone consuming food
- Taking stock of all dry and frozen foods before an order and communicating this with the Head Chef
- Monitoring wastage at all nurseries and changing the menu accordingly if a meal is unpopular
What you know:
- How to cater for children’s dietary requirements by following up-to-date legislation regarding nutrition and through your knowledge of catering for children
- The requirements for receiving the highest rating from the local council’s Environmental Health Department to maintain the high standards already in the setting
- How to implement all relevant policies and procedures
- You’ll have a L2/L3 Food Hygiene certificate (Required)
- You’ll have completed your Allergen Training
We’re the best at …
- Onboarding staff correctly in a paid induction to ensure you feel confident and supported from day one of your career at Fennies
- Communicating within our teams in regular meetings to give and receive feedback, mentor and ensure we are succeeding together
- Scheduling regular trainings to help you keep up to date in your knowledge
- Offering career progression opportunities and space to build upon your skills by catering for a variety of audiences, such as parents and staff at events, the team's lunches and children's meals
- providing team building opportunities through the different events you'll assist with and involving the catering team in these events to showcase your talents
- Prioritising your well-being by offering monthly events that help you progress in your life outside of Fennies. You can learn to mix cocktails, get advice on mortgages, try a meditation class and more!
- Competitive salaries that match or exceed our competitors, pension scheme, staff discount for signing your children up to Fennies
- Well-being benefits, such as treats and events
- DBS checks and uniform provided free of charge
- Choose between 3 free lunch options every day which you can enjoy in our bespoke staff rooms, where you can relax
Love the sound of working with Fennies? Join us today!